Sunday, February 19, 2006

My U2 Phase

In honor of it being almost one year since I set off on my worldwind tour of Europe I am going through a U2 phase. While I was there I would always plug in the classics while we hauled our backpacks to and fro. I think I listened to every album they've made at some point in the 3 months. However one song that seems to stick is "Danielle's song"... Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own.
My favorite line in the song is " a house doesn't make a home ". Right now Matt and I posses some kitchen utensils, a set of dishes, Starbucks mugs, a sex-promising oven mitt and a slow cooker (thank you Linda and Rod). We are blessed to have a number of good leads on suites, 6 months in advance... we have all these 'house things' (that I love, dont get me wrong) but Im looking most forward to our home! The laughter, the nights spent reading, the family dinners, the girls or guys nights (minus the seraner wrap) and the loads of Apples to Apples we'll all play.
Thats the great thing about U2, they always make you think. Here's a not so deep thought though, did you know that Bono and Bon Jovi are fighting over who invented the mullet? Who really wants to take credit for that?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

katie
i know you and matt will have the most welcoming and fun home! you'll probably just have to kick all of us out:)

Stephanie and Brad said...

Katie, i totally understand the joy of preparing to make your house into a home. Brad and I have a few things for our house but we're both so excited to move in there and get things set up and then to have fun in our house with people (and ourselves..haha). So much to look forward to. GOod luck with your hosue searching!

beim said...

U2 phase is never bad. Their concert last year was the most compelling church service I've ever been to. Who else can bring so many different faith backgrounds together and not have their religion get in the way.

The house a home...yeah, I remember thinking that. I remember thinknig that it was something that we could make happen (hey, we are married, this is our home...), but it is something that evolves over time. My advice is to let it happen, just be in your home and be in the presence of each other.

And make sure you protect your time and protect each other, because a lot of people will decide it is the new place to hang out, but it is okay to want to sit together and watch a mindless movie...as one book says, practice the presence of people...practice being in the presence of each other.

Okay, I talk too much, big shock.

Katie said...

Neil Matthew, Your comments were very insightful and Im sure will be useful. Im sorry, but, who are you?

beim said...

possibly click on the name and get redirected to "neil's" sight.