Wednesday, March 07, 2007

ahhh rocking the boat...

Well as it turns out I should be talking about HPV Vaccinations instead of homosexual curriculum so, I will address that. There is a new vaccination available to grade 6 girls that is said to protect against strains of cancer caused by an STD called HPV. Now if you haven't read the comments on my last post go read them now cause that's what I am going to talk about...
Now I must say, having had long discussions with my mom about these things, I know that her point was not at all that we shouldn't be vaccinating our girls. Her point (and mine) is that we may* be fixing this problem but at the rate we are going, with the age of girls losing their virginity being lower and lower, in 10 years a new strain of something will pop up and we wont have a vaccine for that but we ALSO wont have actually talked with our kids about the effects of sleeping around because, hey we vaccinated them for it! We need to start addressing the what's causing the problem instead of being so concerned about putting a band aid on the consequences. HPV has not been around that long and as soon as we erradicate it something new will pop up but we will have a generation who don't understand how to protect themselves or even see the need.
Its the same as people who say we should be putting MORE money into finding a cure for AIDS than third world development. If we spent more money on education and development we could help stop AIDS at the root of the problem. Im not at all suggesting though that we should quit on a cure for AIDS but more that our focus, or at least some of our attention, stays on the quality of life and the education of people in developing nations.
I hope all of this has made sense, maybe I should stick to my wedding posts but I couldn't let the world think my mom was some kind of conservative, stick-your-head-in-the-sand, none vaccinator (is that a word, I dont know!) Cause she is one of the wisest, knowledgeable women I know and she definitely does not shy from reality.

* I say 'may' because we dont even know the long term effects of these vaccines or if they are even effective after 5 years.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

hollah! i hear you. if money does not go towards addressing the felt need instead of just the percieved need than there will be no end to our problems!
oh and your mom is pretty smrt!

Jill said...

I'd like to agree with you. I'd like to believe that everybody is growing up in a world like I did. I'd like to think that people would come to value waiting and see the joy in marriage.
All my ideals came crumbling down now that I teach in an inner-city school. Every few weeks, I deal with some young girl discovering she's pregnant, discovering an STD and having questions, recovering from an abortion or having her heart broken.
Those girls break my heart. I can't go and fix their lives. I'd love for them to have this kind of medication. They're lives are hard enough as it is without HPV or cervical cancer to top it off.