Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lovable?

Sometimes I wonder why it is that, as women, we seem to be drawn to the scandalous love stories that Hollywood seems to put out. Why is it that we love the story of "Pretty Woman"? I don't think its because we all secretly believe we'll find our true love through prostitution.
I hope it's not because we think there is something remotely good looking in Richard Gere's beady little eyes!! Why is it that the love stories that swoon us involve the Moulin Rouge and women dancing for money?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not passing judgment on the love of these movies, I bought a painting of the Moulin Rouge in Paris, that's how much I loved the movie! But even saying that seems bizarre - I bought a picture of a brothel... I certainly don't support the industry.

But then I see that maybe, without even knowing it, we are so drawn to these stories where regular, decent (or slightly decent) men fall for the hugely flawed woman and fix her with their love because it's our story. As women this is how we identify the love of Jesus that comes down and caresses us just as we are, unpure, broken, messy, insecure, unfaithful women. That we know if Christian can fall in love with Satine, even though she constantly pushes him away and denies his existence, then maybe, just maybe, God really still does love us. Mmmmh.

3 comments:

Danielle Janzen said...

I STARTED A BLOG. :D

beim said...

Do the men really "fix" women? A bit of a big jump for me to compare that to God/woman. I think the metaphor breaks down a) Your making an assumption about the sexuality of God b) Don't those women redeem the men in their own way?

Katie said...

well you mistook me for someone who cared how far the analogy worked. there would be something obviously wrong with me if i thought that drawing a parallel between God and I and the moulin rouge would not break down somewhere!!
as for making assumptions about the sexuality of God- well right now im studying Song of Songs and there is something that resonates deep with in me as the King is ever patient and constantly redeeming His inappropriate, scandalous queen. i dont think it is damaging for me to view God, in my admittedly broken and ever developing perspective, as a male. do you?